Protein biomarkers are routinely used to characterize stem cells by cell state, cell type and function. Methods such as immunostaining, Western Blot analysis and FACS have been used to identify, enrich, localize and quantify singular proteins in pluripotent and differentiated cells. However, future needs in stem cell biology require greater throughput and sensitivity to enable global and target-specific analysis. An example of a new target-specific analysis approach is our new TaqMan® Protein Assays.
Step-by-step Guide to Protein Expression
Identification may be accomplished using the following methods:
- Target-Specific Protein Assays, specific markers of pluripotency and differentiation may be monitored
- Flow Cytometry, rare populations of differentiated cells among large population of pluripotent cells may be identified
TaqMan® Protein Assays
TaqMan® Protein Expression Assays help quantitate protein expression using gold standard TaqMan® 5' nuclease chemistry with a workflow and sample quantity similar to our all TaqMan® Gene Expression and MicroRNA (miRNA) Assays. As the protein expression results are obtained on the same analytical platform, these revolutionary assays enable direct correlation of mRNA and/or miRNA expression to protein expression. Or, use the TaqMan® Protein Assays Open Kit to make TaqMan® Protein Assay probes using your antibodies.
*Note: Running a complete TaqMan® Protein Assay (pre-designed or made with the Open Kit) requires a Core Reagents Base Kit and Master Mix Kit.
Attune™ Acoustic Focusing Cytometer
The Attune™ Acoustic Focusing Cytometer provides both high sensitivity and high throughput – without sacrificing performance or accuracy. With the Attune™ instrument, you can control your sample concentration, the flow rate, the number of photons you detect, the length of your experiment, the number of samples you run, and more. And you can get the most out of your cells with dependable results. Best of all, our technology makes all of this easy to do.
- Poster: Cardoso, H.A. and Hart, R.P., Establishing standard assays for quality control and identity traceability of human embryonic stem cells (2007
- White Paper: Eradication of Cross-Contaminated Cell Lines
- Product Bulletin: TaqMan® Protein Expression Assays
- Protein Ligation Technology
- Poster: Novel Protein Expression Assays using qPCR for the Detection and Relative Quantification of Protein Markers in Stem Cells
- Poster: An integrated quantitative PCR approach for monitoring gene and protein expression in human pluripotent and differentiated cells
- Poster: A Novel Quantitative PCR-Based Protein Detection Method for OCT3/4, NANOG, SOX2, and LIN28 in Human Germ Cell Tumors (GCTs)
For research use only. Not intended for any animal or human therapeutic or diagnostic use.