StemPro® Neural Supplement
Serum-free supplement specifically formulated for growth and expansion of human and rat neural stem cells (NSCs) and progenitor cells (PCs)
StemPro® Neural Supplement
- Produced under cGMP
- Better lot-to-lot consistency
- Superior proliferation of GPCs with more than 50-fold increase in cell number
- Available in kit form for NSC culture - StemPro® NSC SFM, which contains StemPro® Neural Supplement, KnockOut™ DMEM/F-12, bFGF, and EGF
Supports superior expansion and retains multipotent differentiation potential of NSCs
- Superior expansion of neural stem cells (NSCs) derived from either embryonic stem cells or from fetal tissue
- Versatility to support long-term growth and expansion of both adherent and neurosphere suspension cultures
- Maintain normal NSC multipotency and phenotype/karyotype
- NSCs grown in StemPro® NSC SFM maintain the potential to differentiate to physiologically active neurons and glial cells
- Better batch-to-batch consistency, with each lot produced under cGMP and qualified using an hNSC performance assay
- No or little adaptation required from serum-supplemented medium
Table 1. Components required for NSC culture
|Product Name||Stock Concentration||Final Concentration||For 100 mL||For 500 mL|
|StemPro® Neural Supplement||50x||1x||2mL||10mL|
Provides superior proliferation of PCs and retains their multipotent differentiation potential
|Figure 1. GPCs were cultured in medium supplemented with StemPro® Neural Supplement. Every 7 days, cells were harvested and replated for further proliferation and accumulated cell number was documented. After passage 3, accumulated cell number was more than 50-fold higher than starting cell numbers.|
Figure 2. GPCs were cultured either in (A) GIBCO® medium with StemPro® Neural Supplement or (B) ScienCell™ OPC medium. During the 3 week culture period, cells cultured in (A) GIBCO® medium could be passaged 3 times resulting in 50-fold more cells while retaining their phenotype. However, cells cultured in (B) ScienCell™ OPC medium (a competitor) did not increase in number but resulted in a loss of normal phenotype and differentiation to downstream lineages such as astrocytes (large cell body).
Table 2. Components required to culture GPC's
|Product Name||Stock Concentration||Final Concentratio||For 100 mL||For 500mL|
|StemPro® Neural Supplement||50x||1x||2x||10mL|
Figure 3. Phenotype marker expression of the human GPCs cultured in medium supplemented with StemPro® Neural Supplement. GPCs were labeled with GPC biomarkers such as PDGFRa, Olig2 and NG2. The data reveal the ability of StemPro® Neural Supplement to support GPCs to retain their undifferentiated status.
GPCs grown in StemPro® Neural Supplement retain their differentiation potential into oligodendrocytes and astrocytes (Figure 4).
Figure 4. Human GPCs were proliferated in the medium supplemented with StemPro® Neural Supplement then differentiated further to (A) oligodendrocytes and to (B) astroctyes. Oligodendrocytes were stained with biomarker of GalC (green) and astrocytes were stained with biomarker of GFAP (Red). All nuclei were labeled with DAPI.