GeneArt® Directed Evolution
In vitro molecular evolution strategies (Figure 1) are widely regarded as the most efficient methods for creating proteins and regulatory sequences with improved or novel properties. Life Technologies GeneArt® Directed Evolution services cover a variety of different approaches for creating genetic variants. Paired with appropriate screening methods, our directed evolution technologies can create the genetic diversity you need to obtain proteins with the characteristics you need.
Synthetic Variant Libraries Help You Find Your Protein Faster
Conventional mutagenesis protocols rely on virtually random mutations. For example, with error-prone PCR, the position and nature of the mutations cannot be controlled. As a result, mutant libraries contain many silent mutations and ill-placed stop codons. Perhaps of greater concern, however, is that only a tiny fraction of all possible sequence variants can be generated, so finding the best possible variant is extremely unlikely. See an example.
DNA shuffling can be a powerful approach for creating diversity, but is subject to drawbacks including the requirement for stretches of homologous sequence to serve as sites for recombination at a reasonably high rate, and the need to obtain DNA as starting material. In addition traditional DNA shuffling typically does not separate and recombine adjacent single-nucleotide polymorphisms—changes which have the potential to result in useful protein variants.
Major benefits of GeneArt® Directed Evolution Services
- Most service offerings do not require DNA template—DNA is synthesized from your sequence information
- Complete control over every important feature of the library—Create rational diversity where it is likely to have the most impact
- Significantly reduced screening effort compared to conventional mutagenesis methods
- Generate variants that cannot be created using conventional methods
- Maximum sequence integrity in unmutated regions, maximum variation where you want it, and maximum insert size
- Improved likelihood of obtaining useful variants
Tell us about your project for more information and to receive information on pricing and production time.
GeneArt® Directed Evolution Services
GeneArt® Combinatorial Libraries
New! Maximum diversity via TRIM technology
Completely synthetic process for introducing random variation in multiple codons (up to 1012 variants) with complete customization of the amino acid composition. Ideal for introducing targeted variation while maintaining maximum framework integrity.Learn more
GeneArt® Mutagenesis Service
GeneArt® Site-Saturation Mutagenesis
GeneArt® Controlled Randomization Service
GeneArt® Truncation Libraries